Saturday, September 13, 2014

Kittens!

Over the summer I started sort of a cat rescue.... I sort of because my anxiety over doing all the paperwork and such to turn me into an recognized non-profit has so far prevented me from getting to that part. However I've raised over $300, gotten a cat fixed, taken in said cat's tiny kittens and provided around the clock care for one of them that nearly didn't make it, taken in and adopted a very sick kitten, and provided food and love for the cats/kittens still outside.

I hate to toot my own horn, but my therapist thinks I don't value myself enough and I need to start recognizing the things I do... so I'm honestly quite proud of myself. I have really made a difference. My goal before winter is to adopt out the 3 kittens inside now (two of them already have homes when they are old enough), and spay/neuter the 4 kittens outside and find them homes. I still have 2 more adult cats outside to spay however one stopped coing around since her kittens took over the patio and the other rarely comes by so it could be challenging.







The first of the kittens to come inside was a kitten from Tuna's litter I called sick kitten, because her one eye had been swollen. She was very skittish but I managed to catch her and clean it off and for a few days it looked better... then she showed up out back alone, and since she was so skittish she never came alone. When I called her, she came to me and I saw how bad her eye was. I took her to the vet that night and found out she had warbles, or bot fly maggots living under her skin. One was under her eye and one qas just above her heinie hole (I like calling it that because I call it her Honey Heinie haha). The vet said she needed to stay inside until she healed or else she'd wind up with more. I named her Honey on the ride home because she didn't mind any of this so she reminded me of a honey badger, plus I love honey, it's the main reason I could never go vegan... I alternate between calling her Honey and Badger :)



Imediately I felt something special about her, but since she was going back outside I tried to ignore it.she was so scared she would hiss any time you came near her cage unless she was disctracted with food.


Then slowly she let me pet her, until she would cry to come out of her cage so she could lay with me.





I cried at the thought of her going back outside, so Jared and his mom agreed to keep her until me and him can move out. I still get to see her everyday, but I miss her sleeping with my every night.



No comments:

Post a Comment